5 Essential Beauty Tips for Natural Summer Skin Care to Keep Your Skin and Environment Healthy
For most of us, summer fun means spending a lot of time outside with activities that expose our skin to the sun, salt, insects, and dirt. With a little help from organic and natural skincare products, you can enjoy the great outdoors without wreaking havoc on your skin and hair.
Here are five tips for beauty tips to keep you in a summer glow.
- A sunscreen should be part of your daily summer outdoor routine. Make a good choice and select a natural sunscreen that protects against both UVA and UVB rays. Both types of rays damage the skin by affecting collagen, and both can cause cancer. Avoid sunscreens with a long list of chemicals, especially para-amino benzoic acid, also known as PABA. These chemicals are easily absorbed through the skin causing health problems and also enter the environment causing damage to the soil and groundwater.
- After a day in the sun at the beach or pool, or hiking the forest trails, thoroughly cleanse your skin and hair with a mild organic foam cleanser. Look for a cleaner that combines organic and natural ingredients that will gently clean while replacing natural oils. Natural ingredients like Clary Sage, Aloe Vera; Jojoba, olive or coconut oils; and essential oils will gently cleanse while rejuvenating skin and hair. Coconut oil is especially good at replacing the natural oils in your skin and hair.
- Nourish and replenish skin with an organic, full-body moisturizer. Organic and natural ingredients like bergamot and litsea essential oils energize and help tone and rejuvenate the skin. A great summer option is a moisturizer that contains essential oils of lemon or lime, as a citrus blend energizes and also works as an insect repellent. Remember to use it on nail cuticles and dry foot skin!
- Summer is the time of bare feet and sandals. Show off your toes with an eco-friendly non-toxic nail polish. Look for water-based brighteners that don’t use FD&C colors and that have removed the toxic chemical trio of ingredients including dibutyl phthalate, formaldehyde, and toluene. Water-based polishes are better for your health and the health of the environment.
- Complete the summer glow with soft, luscious lips. Use a natural lip gloss without chemicals or parabens. Be sure to read lipstick labels carefully, as many still contain lead, which is a proven neurotoxin. Look for an organic or natural lip gloss enriched with vitamin E, cocoa butter, olive oil, and shea butter. This will provide plenty of moisture preventing chapped lips and will also provide a long-lasting shine.
This summer enjoy all that nature has to offer, whether it is surfing the waves, lazing in the pool or observing nature from a forest path. Remember the tips above on organic and natural ways to keep your skin, hair, and the environment healthy.